WAVE is capable of co-simulation with Ricardo’s 3D computational fluid dynamics (CFD) code, VECTIS, or various third-party CFD codes including STAR-CD®, Star-CCM+®, Fluent® and Fire®.
In addition, the WAVE3D module enables fast and reliable set-up, solution and post-processing of a fully coupled 1D/3D CFD analysis. This is performed entirely from within the WAVE environment and without the need for a separate CFD package.
1D/3D co-simulation enables users to perform a high-fidelity analysis of 3D geometries such as exhaust collectors, intake manifolds and catalytic converters. This is achieved by modelling complex 3D physical phenomena such as turbulence and secondary gas mixing, which cannot be captured by 1D fluid dynamics codes.
- A three-stage coupling approach allows for quick convergence:
- Stage I: the 1D model runs to convergence
- StageII: converged 1D boundary conditions are applied to the 3D CFD model and the CFD model is run to convergence
- Stage III: the 1D and 3D CFD models run fully coupled
- Open interface enables linking to supported commercial or user-developed CFD tools
- Fully-integrated 1D/3D CFD co-simulation with WAVE3D:
- Import complex 3D geometry in WaveMesher for 1D and 3D mesh creation
- VECTIS-based parallel CFD solver
- Automatic linking of 1D/3D flow boundaries
- Advanced 3D post-processing